Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Why, Steve Kerr, Why?

My heart is officially broken. Things have gone to shit out in the desert, and now my favorite team, the Phoenix Suns, will never win a championship.

Earlier today, they finalized a trade that sent Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks to the Heat in exchange for one man. Not one man and the 36th overall draft pick, but one man who is 36 years old and over 300 pounds.

They traded for Shaq.

If you dont' know much about the NBA, any kind of basketball, or the difference between your ass and a hole in the ground, you think this trade is probably going to benefit the Suns, since Shaq is the man.

If you think that Shaq is the man, you must've quit following basketball sometime around the VHS release of Kazaam. This dude is almost as washed up as I've become over the last year and a half since I quit competitive basketball, and we've played just about the same amount of minutes and the same amount of games (40 last season, and not many at all so far this year).

The guy is actually hurt right now. Phoenix traded one of their three best players (the other two being Amare Stoudamire and Steve Nash) for Shaq, who hasn't done a thing in the last four years. He's been out-shown in Miami by a skinny dude from Marquette. Not Travis Diener, but still.

I love the Suns for two reasons: 1) Steve Nash is my favorite player and happens to run the point for them, and 2) they play an interesting, fast-paced and effective brand of basketball that could actually make the league interesting again if other teams start to adopt it.

Steve Nash was against this trade, because he's a man of extreme wisdom. He knows that Shaq cannot run with the suns, just as much as he probably knows that Shaq is nowhere near where he once was physically, but he's still just as cocky and self-centered as he's always been.

I had high hopes for the Suns at the beginning of this season, as I always have since Nash was traded their three seasons ago, and I'm still hopeful, but my resolve may soon be crushed. I want so badly for the little white Nash to win a championship. I think the amount of heart and self-lessness he plays with every night should warrant one. He deserves it more than anyone else in the league, but he gets beat up every night he steps onto the court, and he's not getting much older, nor is he the size of Shaq. I don't know how much longer he'll be able to take it, and you'd think that their new GM, Steve Kerr, would understand that better than anyone, being such a small white guy himself.

The thing that irks me about this trade the most is that Nash was against it, along with Coach Mike D'Antoni. How can you make a trade when your best player and the man that should be in charge of the way your team operates are set against it? I thought Kerr would make a great General Manager and follow in Colangelo's footsteps, and I know I should give him a chance, but I just can't make myself like this trade.

From a basketball standpoint, it makes no sense. Shaq's a thing of the past, and that's where he should stay. I've never had a great deal of respect for him in spite of all of his championship wins, because he hasn't had to work for what he's got. He was born a huge man, and it's evident that he didn't work that hard when he was younger to develop his fundamentals, because he can't even make a fucking free throw. And he's just a flat out dick.

I think this trade could be catastrophic for the Suns, and I don't think they'll win a championship this season; I'll still be cheering my heart out for them, though, and when they lose I will almost break into tears. Just as I have the last two years.

I really hope my predictions are wrong (again).

No comments: